Create Opportunities to Learn from Listening
- Encourage others to share their opinions, including those that differ from yours.
- Avoid becoming defensive when you receive constructive criticism. Staying open to the advice is what will make it constructive.
- Arrange for times to brainstorm ideas and suspend judgment during the free flow of ideas.
- Don't appear impatient. Allow plenty of time for responses.
- Ask open-ended questions that will lead to answers that tell you more than simply 'yes' or 'no.'
- Be accessible so that others can communicate with you during unstructured times.
- In meetings, allow some time for raising issues that aren't on the agenda. Also involve others in giving reports on different aspects of the business.